Turmeric, the golden yellow magic root, is a relative of the ginger family, and is responsible for the yellow colour of curry powder. Also termed ‘Indian Saffron’, this spice, rich in the anti-inflammatory agent curcumin, has been found to have a variety of health benefits as well as disease-fighting potential.
Curcumin has been extensively studied because of its beneficial properties, which include
- Anti-inflammatory effects, which can help relieve joint pain and soothe sore muscles in athletes. It is claimed that its anti-inflammatory properties also help to fight against heart disease, the metabolic syndrome, as well as decreasing gut inflammation, thus reducing flare ups of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Antioxidant and anti-microbial effects to help boost immunity and improve skin conditions like acne and psoriasis, as well as giving a general healthy glow and radiance to the skin.
- Improved brain health by contributing to healthy levels of the hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). This hormone also has mood-boosting properties.
Despite its benefits, high doses of turmeric may cause undesirable effects like nausea and diarrhoea. Adding turmeric to our diets in the form of food or a beverage is a tasty, convenient and effective way of getting the health benefits of this precious spice, without worrying about nasty side effects.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
YOGI Tea® offers two Turmeric varieties, with different ingredients and taste profiles.
Turmeric Orange, an ayurvedic blend of turmeric (50%), mild sweet orange and vanilla. This tea is simultaneously spicy and fruity, for a fresh taste experience.
YOGI Turmeric Orange is prepared by pouring boiling water over the teabag and allowing it to infuse for 5-7 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
Turmeric Chai, an ayurvedic blend of turmeric (55%), chai spices and a hint of cinnamon that offers a warming, calming experience.
It can be served in 2 ways
- By adding boiling water, allowing it to steep for 5-7 minutes, and then adding some milk (or nut milk). It can be sweetened to taste.
- To enhance the turmeric in the best possible way it is recommended to add boiling milk to a tea bag, allowing it to infuse for 5 minutes before consumption.
YOGI Tea® is available in pharmacies and health shops.